Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ergon PC2-L Pedals: First Impressions

Okay, I slapped the Ergon PC2-L's on the Xtracycle and on Saturday I spent several hours pedaling around on them. Here's my take. If you want to read up on the techy stuff, see my introduction to these peds here and here.

These pedals are big!
The first thing you notice is how big these pedals are. I mentioned that on the blog here last time I posted on these, but I must say, I still haven't quite gotten over the size of them. (Maybe it is due to my nearly total "SPD-like" ped usage.)

When you ride the bicycle though, that size is a big bonus. As I also stated in my earlier post, I used Vans shoes when first riding on these and I did so again on Saturday. Canvas Vans slip ons, to be exact. Not what you would call a stiff platform for cycling. A recipe for sore feet on any other pedals, the Vans and the Ergon PC2's got along famously.  This means, at least to my mind, that most any non-cycling shoe you need to commute in should feel just peachy with the PC2's. (Well, I can not speak to wearing heels. I just ain't that kinda guy, ya know!)

Well, with pedaling the Xtracycle with and without a load, the shoes and pedals never felt bad in any way. Plus, I looked stylish off the bike. (Ha! Maybe you wouldn't think so....) Well, it was pretty fun just to not have to wear a cycling specific shoe, and still have an efficient, comfortable connection with the bicycle all day. Ergon claims other benefits, like less complaints of knee pain, and better power transfer. Can't say as I can refute those claims. I definitely felt as though I was getting the power laid down just fine. Knee pain? None here, just tired after all that pedaling around. As it should be.

My only question at this point is "How long will these last?", and I'll tell ya why that is. The PC2-L's sell for between $70.00-ish to $85.00 dollars, depending on where you look. These are not "cheap" pedals. There are two ways to look at this though.....

First, if you are a commuter, or if you have a utility bike sitting around, you can ditch the cycling shoes with the PC2's. Really. You won't miss them. You'll use the bike more if you can just hop on and go, instead of swapping shoes out before and after you ride. Secondly, for folks just getting into commuting, or utility cycling, this means that instead of spending money for pedals and shoes for cycling, they now can save money, and just use the shoes they have already. The real bonus is that either way, you will still have an efficient, good fitting, and comfortable shoe/pedal interface. It should also be noted that the PC2 makes a smarter upgrade from clips and straps, (or whatever cheesy stock pedals came with your bicycle), for the same reasons.

But that niggling question about long term use is still hanging out there. These are far too new to the market to say one way or the other, but I will continue to put the PC2's through their paces in the coming months to find out.

2 comments:

Courtney Hilton said...

I wear out flat pedals so fast on my commuters I usually get stuff from the junk bin at the shop. These might be worth a try if they last

dmalwitz said...

I initially commuted with SPD pedals and MTB shoes. I quickly ditched them and threw on a cheap pair of stock pedals once I realized how unnecessary clipping in really is on a commute. I have also been using the PC2 for about 2 weeks and am loving them, very comfortable when riding in the saddle and up. They are large for my taste but the great grip you get in return quickly justifies this design. Nice review, thanks!