Friday, December 11, 2009

Reality Stopped By To Say "Hello"


<====Did I mention that the shop I work at is a Gary Fisher Bike dealer now?
You know, I sit here in the palatial surroundings of Guitar Ted Laboratories and tap out this verbiage on an almost daily basis to an audience of folks that I rarely get feedback from and almost never see face to face. Such is the life of a blogger, I suppose. And to be sure- it isn't the reason I do this anyway- to meet people, or get feedback- although it is much appreciated when it does come. I just don't expect it.
So, I am at work the other day when a couple of fellas come in and start talking to my boss about 29"ers. Now, usually I stay out of those conversations, believe it or not. I let the sales folk do their gig, and I do my wrenching in the repair area. Usually it doesn't get any farther than that, but this particular day one of the fellas had a question about some 'alt bars" for mountain biking. My boss, who is well aware that I am a handle bar freak, called me over to disseminate some handle bar info. Well, as is his usual nature, he gave me a big, ballyhoo of an introduction to the point of embarrassment and mentioned to the guy that I was also known as "Guitar Ted".
Well, by the look on his face it was apparent that he had read something I banged out on the keyboard at some point. What it was, I didn't know, and the rest of the conversation went on normally without further incident until I was able to gracefully exit stage right to the repair area again.
Looking back on it, I really shouldn't be surprised that somebody reads what I write here since I have been spouting off about 29"ers here since what?..........2005? You gotta figure at least one or two folks would have read my stuff and met me at the shop by now.
That said, I never seem to get used to it when I meet folks that recognize "Guitar Ted" and know me from this site or Twenty Nine Inches. Banging out digitized symbols, staring at a flat screen monitor, well..........it is easy to get up from here and forget that a million other folks are reading this crazy stuff out there somewhere. And when Reality comes a knockin', I guess I am never really prepared for it, nor do I expect it. It still surprises me, although like I said, it shouldn't.
Well, if you have snow, go out and enjoy that. If you can ride a bicycle, all the better. Have a great weekend.

No comments: